[time-nuts] Ebay FE-5680A Rb: Connections and Features

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 13:21:13 UTC 2012

Hi Roy

There's some very good stuff coming out of China via Ebay,  but some does
come with confusion attached and it's probably best  never to place too much
reliance on descriptions unless for items  reasonably well known or with
relevant documentation available.

Just to add to the confusion, quite a few sellers seem to use multiple IDs,
 sometimes blatantly obvious but sometimes not, and also exhibit almost
paranoid behaviour at times when it comes to not sharing information with
those  considered to be local competitors. The paranoia, of course, might be
well  founded:-)

Probably best not to assume either that any of these sellers are too  well
informed electronically.
If you think it can be confusing with the surplus commercial gear, just
wait until you see what they can do when they start to dabble with design,
either their own or those "borrowed" from elsewhere:-)

The FE5680A has certainly been one of the confusing items, firstly  just
because there are a number of variants that aren't publicly documented  but
not helped again by some sellers providing incorrect information.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the current batch of cheaper FE5680As as
basic though, or even non programmable.
They provide both 10MHz and 1PPS outputs, I've identified a well  defined
1uS 5V pulse available on pin 6 despite doubts in some quarters, and are
programmable to the extent that the output frequency can be trimmed under
computer control with a fair degree of accuracy and without any of the possible
longer term problems sometimes associated with variable resistors.
They certainly beat at least one of my FE5660As, an FRS-C compatible  unit,
where the internal trimmer fell off the PCB in transit:-)

regards

Nigel