[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 16:43:26 UTC 2012

I recommend we talk. I am flexible, using 24 bit A/D will blow the budget
and there is no way to do it for the cost goal.
Bert

In a message dated 1/13/2012 11:16:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
albertson.chris at gmail.com writes:

On Fri,  Jan 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM,  <EWKehren at aol.com> wrote:
> What we  know is that you can set the Rb in 7 E-13. Dithering would allow
> even  closer setting, the question is what rate will the Rb accept with
out
>  loosing lock or deterioration of the performance. Some one should
explore
> that.  I am still waiting to se some aging. Taking the 10  MHz output and
than
> use an  analog loop and something like a  Morion OCXO and you have the
best of
> all.
> Digitally  controlling the Rb will cut the cost of the control loop in
half.
>  For $10 in parts and a PC board for less than $10 using Shera  like
> controller  can be realized. What is needed is some one able  to do the
PIC.
> If some one is interested and able, please contact me  off list. A low
cost
> GPS or a 1 pps output of a Tbolt be perfect  source.
> Bert Kehren

Don't use a PIC for the prototype.  A  desktop PC could work as well
and everyone here already has  one.   Connect the FE5680 to the PC's
serial port and send  commands to adjust it.  The PC also needs to be
able to read a  voltage.   Many already have audio input with 24-bit
ADC  chips.

Later you can move the C code from the PC pretty much directly  to an
AVR.  PICs typically use assembly language, that is harder and  limits
the number of people who can contribute changes to the code.   But you
can start with a PC, maybe running Linux or BSD.
Chris  Albertson
Redondo Beach,  California