[time-nuts] Lady Heather S/W

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 02:08:04 UTC 2012

It runs on Wine.  Not 100% perfect but well enough to use it.

If it is to do more, it needs a re-write.  I'd like to see a few features

(1) It should always run in client server mode.  There is no reason to
have the GUI and display talk to hardware directly.  Then you can quit
the GUI and still log data

(2) Needs to be multi-platform.  Should run native on most computers.
Lots of ways to make that happen.  cross platform GUI libraries, web
based, ...

(3) I would use a three tier design.  You'd have three executable
programs. They might all run on the same computer and you'd not have
to know there were three but if you like you might distribute them
onto two or three machines.  The part would be:

a) A basic "server" who's only job is to connect the GPS to TCP/IP so
that the data can be sent over a network, wifi or wired or whatever.
This is very simple and I might even be able to simply use "gpsd" and
not have to write much  http://www.catb.org/gpsd/

I think this server sould be simple enough tat it could run on a bare
uP, AVR ir PIC that is connected to and Eithernet controller.  All it
does is time stamp and copy data.  But it should also run  on Windows,
Linux, Mac and BSD

b) A controller "engine".  This runs in the backgrond and contains all
the "logic" for controlling GPSes and for logging data.   Most all of
what the program does in done here.   There is no user interface, no
screen display.   casual used might not know the engine exists.

c) Graphical user interface.  This is a simple display and command
input program that talks to the "engine".   There might even be
several of these written.  I could imagine one written as a native
program for Windows and one in Java for multiple platforms and even an
iPhone app.  It talks over the network to the engine.

But the above is a lot of work.   First step is to re-build the
windows binary code as a Linux native executable so that you don't
need Wine.   Easy why to do this is to compile with Wine library.
Actually this is "cheating" because you end up with Wine embedded in
the app.  But it's a start.

People will argue about programming languages and so on but I'd rater
just build it in something that is VERY high level and free like
scilab  or something like it
http://www.scilab.org/content/download/2187/22527/file/leaflet_Scilab.pdf

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Mike Naruta AA8K <aa8k at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm confused.  Is there a Linux version of
> Lady Heather available?  Or would I have to
> run it on WINE?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California