[time-nuts] HP5384A Freq Counter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 18 20:27:06 UTC 2012

Dear Rob,

On 01/18/2012 11:45 AM, Rob Kimberley wrote:
> I've seen one of these advertised, and wanted to know if any fellow Nuts had
> any experience.

We have one at work, which we got as extra goodies when buying another
instrument. It's a very basic counter which may be useful as such, but
not very spectacular. Just the other day I adviced a colleague to use a
HP5335A instead of the HP5384A for measurement work. It's like a 3 1/2
digit DMM, they are good to know where you are, but if you want to do
more qualitative measures, you sure want a better counter for that work.

I still like my HP5335A despite having much more precise counters at
hand. Having the C channel input, it beats the HP5384A in every aspect
except size and weight.

Cheers,
Magnus