[time-nuts] mixers for frequency measurement

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Jan 19 17:36:30 UTC 2012

Yes, they are Schottkys, just like the ones used in most mixers - but
much bigger and slower. They would have to be properly impedance
matched, and could be driven to higher power levels, with higher
diode conductance, so (I think) much lower noise. Of course,
amplifying up to higher power will add noise, so it's not "free" in
that respect.

Ed

Stefan wrote:
1N5817 are schottky diodes. Wouldn't they saturate much earlier than
a 2N2222A? If saturation is the right word with a schottky diode...