[time-nuts] Labeling project boxes/panels

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Jan 21 22:33:26 UTC 2012

I'm tired of setting up silkscreening for one-off or small lot
projects, and am looking for new ways to neatly label panels
(generally painted metal, sometimes bare metal or
plastic).  Preferably, something that can be done on-premises without
needing to send graphics out and wait for delivery.  I'd like to be
able to do layouts on a pc -- at a minimum with letters and lines,
and hopefully the capability to paste graphics, as well.  I'm willing
to overcoat the labeling if necessary (preferably with a spray rather
than an adhesive film).  Duty will generally be indoor, but I'd like
the labeling to survive locations that get direct sun through a window.

I'm familiar with the Dymo and Brother industrial tape labelers, but
would like something that is not so confined to available tape widths
(if I'm doing an overlay -- which I'm not in love with generally --
I'd like to overlay the whole panel).  I don't know if the Scotchcal
family of products has anything useful for this.  I have heard of
materials available for (laser?) printers that create water-soluble
decals, but have not run across any.  I know there are heat-transfer
PC resist materials -- are there similar things oriented to panel
labeling (this would not address plastic panels, I presume)?  One
potential drawback of printed solutions (where the actual toner or
ink from the printer becomes the label) may be making light-colored
labels for dark panels.

Anything else people like?  I know I said I disfavor sending out for
overlays, but if anybody thinks really highly of this method, and can
identify a good vendor, I'm willing to listen.

Thanks,

Charles