[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 -> SWCC clock

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Sun Jan 22 21:12:53 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/22 14:56, Don Latham wrote:
> NICE!
> Measure the resistance of the coil, and see what the current would be
> with the voltage you want to use. Figure out what the current might have
> been in the original installation. Ebay has an installation manual at
> auction for these clocks, may have a description of the driving circuit.

I hate to pay twenty bucks for a PDF, or to pay twenty bucks just to find out.
If it's anything like this:

http://electric-clocks.com/SWCC/

... it doesn't say.  The winding battery, and the setting signal, were supplied,
and the installer didn't need to know the specs.  But, then again, I can't
afford to experiment too broadly and damage my museum piece.  I think the guy
who recently cleaned and repaired the movement tested this coil.  I'll call him
back and ask what he put on it.