[time-nuts] HP5328A LEDS driver transistor

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 22:40:50 UTC 2012

Thanks everyone for all the options.  OK there are real MPS-U51 for $5
or $6 each.  The NTE parts sells for between $25 and $30.   HP places
these just on top of each digit with the tap fasting the plastic LED
so it can't short.  HP also cuts the taps so they can't short to the
case.  I think they grossly per spec'd them because they are used in a
place where there is no heat sink and very little airflow.   I say
"over spec" but yet two burn out.

Funny the seller thought the counter worked.  The burned out digits
were the least significant and with them out you still have a 7
digital counter.  Really all that most people need for aligning radios
and such.

My plan now is to do a parametric search on Digikey/Mouser a quick
search found many for under $1 that could work.  I'll wait 'till I'm
in need of some parts to build my next projects and add a few
transistors.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Stan Searing <timenutstan at gmail.com> wrote:

> on my shelf I'd sell for $50 if you are ever up in San Jose).

If you could drop them at Cal State I might take you up on that.
Yes,  I'll look at that transistor below

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California