[time-nuts] finding time astronomically.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:39:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:
>> I think you'd want a slit, not a pin hole.  The pin hole would be
>> better but it would only work one day a year.
>
> Actually two days per year, unless it was adjusted for the summer or
> winter solstice, then it'd be one.

I still think it is "one".  because there are not an integer number of
days per year so you don't get and exact repeat in 6 months.   Maybe a
pin hole would only work once ever?  I don't know.  To "work" the
pinhole has to exactly line up with the detector at the exact same
time of day.

But I'm not liking slits either because I can't see how to adjust them
to exact vertical.

I'm back to the first thing I thought of,  a wire with a large weight.
 Then you measure the light curve as shadow of the wire sweeps over
the detector.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California