[time-nuts] Trimble firmware updates and GPS signal structure.

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 21:53:34 UTC 2012

Whilst downloading some information from Trimble's support  pages today I
discovered, only two years late:-), that in January 2010  Trimble released
firmware upgrades for the Acutime Gold, Mini-T, Resolution T,  Thunderbolt E,
and no doubt other GPS units too.

Trimble states in each case.....

"This firmware version was published to correct the signal tracking outage
every 12.5
minutes due to the change in the GPS signal structure by the  DoD."

No firmware update seems to be available for the original Thunderbolt,  nor
for other earlier units, which probably isn't too  surprising but I don't
recall anyway ever noticing periodic dropouts of  this nature when monitoring
 Thunderbolts.

Does anybody have any experience of this ?

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR