[time-nuts] Trimble firmware updates and GPS signal structure.

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 01:10:41 UTC 2012

In a message dated 29/01/2012 21:54:02 GMT Standard Time, GandalfG8 at aol.com
 writes:

No  firmware update seems to be available for the original Thunderbolt,
nor
for other earlier units, which probably isn't too  surprising but I  don't
recall anyway ever noticing periodic dropouts of  this nature  when
monitoring
Thunderbolts.
------------------
To answer, partially at least, my own question, I found a further reference
 to the Mini-T firmware upgrade in the document linked to here.....

_http://www.support.seasonde.com/Technician_Info/GPS_Firmware/GPSModule_FWup
grade.pdf_
(http://www.support.seasonde.com/Technician_Info/GPS_Firmware/GPSModule_FWupgrade.pdf)

What's mainly interesting about this file is that it comments that  the
problem only affects their "new" GPS boards,  which contain Mini-Ts, but
doesn't affect the older GPS boards and  that these don't require an upgrade.
They provide a photo of each board, and their "older" board clearly  has an
unboxed Thunderbolt piggy-backed onto it, so I have to assume, as  far as
the Thunderbolt's concerned, that this was never an  issue.

I'd still be interested in hearing if anybody has successfully upgraded an
Acutime gold and/or Mini-T.
The possibility of bricking a couple of Mini-Ts isn't something I wish to
contemplate, even if they aren't anywhere near as good as the Thunderbolt,
but  if it turned out Trimble addressed the frequency jumps at the same  time
that would make it well worth the risk.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR