[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Jan 30 07:31:31 UTC 2012

El 30/01/2012 03:19, Chris Albertson escribió:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Javier Herrero<jherrero at hvsistemas.es>  wrote:
>> El 29/01/2012 14:45, Bob Camp escribió:
>>

>> My next intention is to replace the OCXO in one of my Thunderbolts with a Rb
>> and use a small microcontroller to get the voltage correction from the
>> Thunderbolt through the serial port and convert to a 5680A offset. I
>> probably will use a Luminary since I've some small evaluation boards around,
>> and I only have to add a MAX3232-class interface IC for the serial ports.
>>

> My plan is simpler.  I'll compare the phase of the Rb and t-bolt and
> send rs-232 commans to the Rb to keep the difference as small as
> possible.  This will run on an Arduino.   I'm also thinking of porting
> over much of the Lady Heather t-bolt monitoring stuff to the Arduino.

My idea is to let the thunderbolt do all the things, replacing the
oscillator, but letting it do all the comparisons, time constants, etc.
since it also enables to set oscillator slope, time constant, and also
do all the monitoring. So the uP, for now, will be simply a "protocol
converter", sniffing the DAC value from the Thundervolt and converting
it to an offset to the FE-5680A, using a EKK-LM3S9B96 I've lying around.
I've more ambitious plans involvign a more capable embedded processor...
(too many plans for so limited free time to play with things :) ).

Regards,

Javier