[time-nuts] HP5334B with 10544 OCXO

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Mon Jan 30 17:42:35 UTC 2012

> Hello.
>
> I recently bough an HP-5334B counter with option 010 from the big
> "E".  A Google search seems to indicate the OCXO should be a 10811
> type OCXO but mine has a type 10544.
>
> Other than taking longer to warm up does anybody see any problems
> with this?  Basic testing shows the unit seems to work OK.  It is
> reading 1.7 Hz low compared to my Thunderbolt at 10 MHz - I have not
> tried adjusting the trimmer on the 10544 yet.
>
> Comments and thoughts appreciated.
>
> Regards.
>
> Mark.
> VE6NTP

The service manual for the 5334B specifies the option 010 oscillator to be
the 10811 variety.  I suspect that a previous owner scavenged the original
oscillator from your instrument and substituted the lower priced 10544
oscillator.  The 10811 units can bring more money on the auction site than
the 10544 units.
Both will perform well in the counter, with somewhat longer warmup time for
the 10544 oscillator.  Pretty much the same performance for both units after
warmup and stabilization.  I recommend that you let your unit run
continuously (standby is OK) for 30 days before making final adjustments to
the oscillator.  This is to allow the crystal and oscillator circuitry to
stabilize after being turned off for an unknown period of time.

Dave M
A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is
the beginning of a new argument.