[time-nuts] FE-.5680A trimming resolution

cfo xnews2 at luna.kyed.com
Tue Jan 31 20:23:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:43:35 +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:

> My current progress is that the uC i wanted to use does not do what i
> want. Can anyone recommend a uC with 32bit timers and IEEE 1588 support?

Some of the ST's supports IEEE-1588
http://www.embeddedstar.com/weblog/2011/09/21/stm32-f4-mcu/
www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/BRSTM32F4_v7final.pdf

I'd suggest a $20 STM32-F4-Discovery (Digikey etc)
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/2484058-eval-kit-stm32f-discovery-
stm32f4discovery.html

And a Phy (The mac is in the F4) $10
http://www.ebay.de/itm/DP83848-Ethernet-Physical-Transceiver-RJ45-
connector-control-interface-Board-Kit-/260868624339

Some www-sw is here (German use google translate)
http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/237223#2491080

The F4 even supports "Single precision" Floats in HW ,
and has both ADC & DAC (with the ADC/DAC vref pin on external pin).
1G flash , 192k Ram , and it runs 168Mhz.
I think there is 2 x 32bit timers (Fclock/2) , and a fair amount of 16bit
timers.

It comes with build in debugger (proprietarary) , but the debug protocol
has been reversed ... (see texane project) , and afaik it is now suported
in openocd. So arm-gcc & arm-gdb can be used (ie codesourcery).

ST suggests Atollic as "gcc" toolchain , but that's imho "handicapped" in
the free version.

I have earlier suggested the F4-Discovery , as a "Tnut" GPSDO/OCXO/RBXO
controller board.

CFO