[time-nuts] Is Timelab with a Prologix-Eth and a PM6680 - working ?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Tue Jul 3 20:28:15 UTC 2012

Yes, you are right: my example was, for this reason, limited to a couple
hundred nS. Usually testing PPSes or 10MHz sources leads to very small time
intervals so the resolution of the interpolator dominates. For time
intervals beyond the nS figures it is better to consider a stable
reference. Another problem of the start-stop mechanism is the lack of the
negative time interval capability of the PM6680/1: you can swap A and B
inputs on the fly but you loose one (or more) samples. I have seen my
PM8861 outputting wrong samples as the PPSes cross each other: usually a
4.999999999E-01 seconds sample is output before the correct reading
resumes. Very surprising was the correct negative output (I suppose when
the time interval is under the interpolator window) got when the two PPSes
were very very slowly crossing: a long list of negative values before the
usual 9.9999999E-01 output.