[time-nuts] Thunderbolt mounting

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 02:33:22 UTC 2012

Nope,  if implemented properly it works VERY well.   No ADEV humps,  no vibration induced spurs,  no commutator EMI,  no power supply garbage.

Lady Heather's PID PWMs the fan to control the speed.  It is not a bang-bang controller.   You should baffle the air flow so that it does not impinge directly on the unit.  I have the tbolt sitting on a piece of waffle foam in the box...  gives very good vibration isolation,  but even without it I saw no fan related noise/spurs.   Proper power supply filtering for the fan power might be useful,  but I see no coupling on mine.

As the Wise Man said...  one experiment is worth 1000 opinions.