[time-nuts] 5MHz ocxo

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 26 07:42:57 UTC 2012

I'm not the original poster with the dead oscillator, but I have done
this in the past ( and will again in the future, I'm sure).  I'm
definitely going to try this idea.  I have both models of soldering gun
as well.  The bigger one is Model D550 and is rated at 200/260 watts.  I
think that's the one to use.  As you say, you want to work fast and the
larger one will do that.  I'm a little surprised that wrapping the wire
around a metal case and using solder to improve the heat transfer
doesn't more or less short out the loop and reduce the heat generated on
the side of the loop opposite to the connection points.

Ed