[time-nuts] Active antennas for a Thunderbolt...

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:27:45 UTC 2012

Have you used Lady Heather to automatically set the Default settings?

To allow the Tbolt to work with weak signals from any antenna that I've
tried, even when indoors,
I start by setting the TBolt's AMU level from the default of 4 down to 0.
This can be done with the Tbolt S/W or LH.

My general AMU setting goal is to make it low enough so that the TB is
always using a minimum of three satellites.
If the TB ever does goes into holdover, that should be fixed, because that
will cause some serious freq offset noise at the TBolt's output,
The usual holdover fix is to give the antenna a better view of the sky
and/or  lower the TBolts AMU setting.
It is better to set the AMU too low which will allow it to use weak signals
all the time than it is to set it too high and have No signals even for a
short time.

After lowering the AMU value, if you want to optimize the setting, LH has
all kinds of tools to help, such as the sat signal strength plot.

ws