[time-nuts] Active antennas for a Thunderbolt...

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Jul 30 16:59:42 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,

I agree, once is just anomalous, but twice makes my debugging
hat go on... especially when it is two different manufacture
antennas.

The first antenna is the exact antenna that Trimble recommends
for the TB.  It is a type 25045-10.  Surely it should be compatible?
The second antenna is a Micro Pulse 1934NW/C, 50dB model, designed
for +3 to +35V, and to test that it was being fed properly, I put
a BNC "T" right at the antenna, and measured +4.5V.

In the course of testing I have used cables that came out of my
test pool.  They are short, and have been proven good.

The Motorola hockey puck is about 20db of gain, and as such is a good
8dB less than the minimum recommended by Trimble.  It works very well
if it is out where it gets a clear view of the sky.  It works ok
sitting next to my window.... but nothing stellar.  I plan to put it
outside on my roof, but I am short of the needed "round tuits" for
the near to immediate future.

-Chuck Harris