[time-nuts] GPS and Rubidium frequency standards and noise question (newbie).

Jerry Mulchin jmulchin at cox.net
Sat Jun 2 23:44:14 UTC 2012

Chris,

To answer your question regarding using a Rubidium standard as a frequency reference
for your Transverters.

GPS really has nothing to do the main requirement regarding Phase Noise and your
Transceivers. But the 10MHz oscillator inside the Rubidium standard is the item
that will be the Phase Noise problem if you get the wrong Rubidium standard. There
are cheap Rubidiums and there are good Rubidium standards to consider.

An LPRO-101 is actually a very good Rubidium standard, and exhibits Phase Noise
values of  -96dBc/Hz @ 10Hz, -138dBc/Hz @ 100Hz, -152dBc/Hz @ 1KHz offsets
from carrier. This is what I use for my 10GHz Transverter reference, but I don't lock it
to GPS when in the field. LPRO-101's can be gotten pretty reasonably.

Locking the LPRO-101 to a GPS will require more support circuitry, and most of the
folks on this list can help you with that.

Also, Thunderbolt GPS disciplined units are nice, but I do not know the Phase Noise
numbers of a typical Thunderbolt unit. Others here probably know the answer to that.

The important thing to remember is you don't what to use 10MHz oscillators that have
poor Phase Noise performance as it will effect your weak signal capability if you use
a poor Phase Noise oscillator.

Jerry