[time-nuts] GPS and Rubidium frequency standards and noise question (newbie).

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Jun 3 16:11:56 UTC 2012

Hi

If you are trying to do microwave work, phase noise is going to be an issue no matter how you do it.  A lot of the design effort always goes into a low noise oscillator chain in that sort of gear. For HF gear, phase noise may not be quite as big an issue. A lot of rigs pretty much ignore the phase noise of their reference.

If your radios are not already set up to use a 10 MHz reference, you will need to do some frequency conversion to feed them what they want / need. If that's the case, clean up the phase noise in the conversion process. Normally it's as basic as a crystal oscillator locked up with a narrow band PLL. No need for any fancy OCXO or TCXO, just a home made voltage tunable XO. It's not really even a VCXO, since the tune range can be very narrow.

Lots of options…

Bob