[time-nuts] Paywall rant

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Jun 5 17:59:42 UTC 2012

On 06/ 5/12 06:43 PM, J. Forster wrote:

> IMO, the IEEE is pretty much useless for practicing engineers. It is
> mostly by and for academics to build up their resumes
>
> YMMV,
>
> -John

I disagree with that. I find the IEEE useful as a practicing engineer. I think a
lot of companies do to. My own employer pays a subscription so we can get
certain journals, and I know when I worked at Marconi, they paid for membership
for any engineer who wanted to join.

But I would agree, 99% of the content is by academics, and they basically write
it to get promotion. Publish or perish.

There's quite an unusual article in a recent IEEE Antennas and Propagation
journal about making antennas from household items. Like horns from bits of
cardboard and aluminum foil. I did not read the article in full, and at the
minute a colleague has taken it home to read. But I'll look when she has
finished with it. But I freely admit this is an unusual article for the IEEE.

Dave