[time-nuts] Rapco 1804m

Paul Flinders paul at flinders.org
Sat Jun 9 17:34:08 UTC 2012

On 03/06/12 16:59, paul swed wrote:
> Sounds like a better antenna and location might be the trick. You don't say
> how high what coax length and type...
> Since you do not have a manual you sat mask angles may also be causing an
> issue by eliminating possible sats.
> But weak signals will do exactly what you see 2 d fixes and an occasional 3.
> Thas a pretty good clue.
> Regards
> Paul.

Well, it didn't last long :(

Had the chance to try the antenna in a better spot, higher up with more
view of the sky.

Ran it for about an hour, initially OK - took a while to get a fix but
got a signal from 5 or 6 satellites, more 3D lock but still mostly 2D
and "coarse" oscillator control. I was waiting to see if the oscillator
lock did drop into "fine" but reading the manual that might take a while
from first switch on.

Went off to do some other stuff then came back to find it just in a loop
resetting itself, running for a few seconds, then resetting itself again.

It had also clearly forgotten it's idea of the current time as it now
reports a UTC time of just a few minutes past midnight 1/1/99.

Does anyone know if there is there any common fault or operating problem
that would make it do this?