[time-nuts] Thunderbolt cabling questions

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:24:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM, <bg at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> ... 3m
> of antenna cable is no problem. Antenna position is more important than
> the exact type of antenna. I'd rather have a decent antenna at a very good
> site, than a very good antenna at a slightly worse antenna site

3M is trivial.  30M will work fine too.

I agree about the location really mattering more than anything else.  What
I did was drill a 2" hole through the roof up from the attic and push a 10
foot gallanvised iron plumbing pipe up.   The antenna sits on thop ithe
pipe and is higher then the roof top ridge and then the cable go down the
center of the pipe.  I pipe flange on top  of the pipe makes a perfect
mounting platform.   I used a timing antenna comes inside a white pointed
plastic radome.  These sell for just under $30 on eBay.   Maybe it is
coincidence or not but the four holes pin the standard pipe flange match up
with the four holes in the bottom of my antenna and there is enough room
inside the hole in the center for an "N" connector.   It is worth getting
the antenna "done right" because it is the most important part of the
entire system.     Those dome type antenna are worth it.  the shape is
designed to shed both bird poop, and snow.  Birds can be an issue with a
flat top antenna, no snow here.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California