[time-nuts] Paper about DCF77 performance

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 14 00:16:51 UTC 2012

> Do they grant the right, or do people just get away with it?

We used to get away with it by publishing an in-house research report that
was a preliminary version of what turned into the paper.  That was many years
ago, before the web.  We actually printed hard copies.  We had good in-house
editors so the preliminary version was pretty good, maybe even better if
interesting stuff had to be trimmed for the official paper.

Matt Blaze has a good blog entry on this mess:
  Why do IEEE and ACM act against the interests of scholars?
  http://www.crypto.com/blog/copywrongs/

Daniel:
  Your timing was "interesting".  We just had a discussion on this topic a
few days ago.  If you want to review it, it's in the archives.  Subject is
Paywall rant, but a few comments probably rolled over to a few other threads.
 If you don't know how to find the archives, poke me off-list.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.