[time-nuts] vectron 229's

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Jun 26 00:27:11 UTC 2012

I knew something nagged: blowing off dust, I found two of these,
non-adjustable. One is at 101.136364 MHz, and the other at 107.864583
MHz. They're 24 volt, pin 2 (cw bottom view) and case pin 6. Other pins
open.
The interesting thing is that I had bought some really inexpensive
AD9850 boards on epay (eg 140776695890, $5.95, free shipping, buy 5 or 6
before the dollar dumps). Looking up the 9850, I found a really nice
frequency calculator utility,
http://designtools.analog.com/dt/dds/ad9850.
and found out either of these oscillators can replace the 125 MHz little
osc on the board and give me very useful generators for little cost. I
don't have to even mess with the Vectrons to get one part in 10*7
handily with either oscillator, using my fave Robot Basic and a little
picaxe or arduino or whatever is around. Can be nicely used for example
as the reference osc in a DB mixer setup, etc.Spurs, harmonics, of
course, but really handy and the price is right.
There are always the little lines going off the drawing "to power
supply", but...
There are also 9851 blocks, a little more expensive, to give better
square wave out, on ebay as well.
The fun never ends...
Don

--
"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road
POB 134