[time-nuts] Injection locking interconnect

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 28 22:22:02 UTC 2012

Bill,

On 06/29/2012 12:07 AM, Bill Dailey wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am looking for info on injection locking.  I have been searching around for info.  I found an article that probably answers my question but I can't get to it.
>
> http://www.oldcitypublishing.com/FullText/JAPEDfulltext/JAPED2.1fulltext/11-24pp%20GC05-06%20%28Rajput%29.pdf
>
> Can anyone give me a reference regarding the required interconnection?  I understand the ho and why... I just am wondering how you make sure locking occurs in the right direction.  In other words the target oscillator gets locked to the injected signal and not the other way around.

If you have two oscillators of the same frequency, these may
injection-lock to each other, in which case the injection locking causes
mutual synchronisation, which is a little forgotten research field all
on it's own.

This is a great starting point on injection locking that fellow time-nut
Bruce Griffith wrote and collected references for:
http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/InjectionLocking.html

> The application is a synthesized frequency source injection locking a tcxo to improve phase noise.

If you have a reference being of in a completely different frequency, it
will have no or much weaker coupling to your oscillator you try to lock,
than the direction you want to achieve. That helps.

You can actually use injection locking to aid in PLL locking. This have
been shown, see Wolaver's PLL book. I've mentioned this previously on
the list, so it may be found...

Cheers,
Magnus