[time-nuts] HP-5065a advise and purchase decision

Edgardo Molina xe1xus at amsat.org
Sat Jun 30 15:36:26 UTC 2012

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your advise. Yes I have seen the Ebay units below a
hundred dollars. I have been attracted by those units, but I have been
unable to find a USA seller. Most of them are being offered by chinese
ebayers. I haven't ordered anything from China through Ebay yet. Still
I can order anything from the USA.

I have seen frequency adjustable units. 1Hz to 20Mhz. I am still in
diapers in this field of time and frequency experimentation. I am
building a couple of nixie clocks and plan to do some disciplining
using Rubidium, GPS and WWVB. Among all those second hand rubidium
modules, could you please share some advise on brands & models? There
are so many variations. I am aware most of them are in their end of
life cycle. I have learned some can be restored by using focalized
heat on the Rb cells. Still I haven't made a decision. I have a decent
electronics lab at home and could build or test those units to find
their best abilities. Interesting how nowadays those frequency
standards are so readily available.

Your kind comments are always welcome. Thank you all for taking the
time to share ideas and advise with me. I promise to keep the thread
up to the expected standards.

Regards,

Edgardo Molina
XE1XUS