[time-nuts] AD9850 boards

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Thu Mar 1 03:23:28 UTC 2012

No kidding! My complaint for some years now is that chips and such are
sold the same way as 19th century rubber goods...reps, jobbers,
distributors, wholesalers, uncle TOM cobleigh and all...
AnalogD does have a web store!
Don

Peter Gottlieb
> Sourcing parts in China is very different from the US or Europe.  When I
> buy
> parts in the US I will first go to the distributor and get their price,
> then I
> will go to the manufacturer and get promised a better price, still
> through the
> distributor.  The distributor still gets a cut, even if the parts come
> direct
> from the factory.  In China, the distributor can be completely cut out
> (or take
> a much smaller cut) and the pricing blows away anything I can get here.
> Same
> parts, same factory, certified parts, and sometimes even shipped right
> from the
> factory.  So in a way China is killing us on manufacturing because US
> manufacturers are giving the Chinese companies a strong price advantage.
>

> On 2/29/2012 6:52 PM, SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
>> All the chip vendors sell parts in China in quantity for about 30% to
>> 50%
>> less than quantity pricing in the US.
>>
>> When asking distributors in China how this is possible they say "we
>> Chinese
>>   expect this pricing, otherwise we wouldn't use these parts"
>>
>> This is why it's so hard to compete with products from China...
>>
>> That's also why new DVD players (with red laser diodes etc etc inside)
>> can
>> be sold for $29 retail profitably.
>>
>> bye,
>> Said
>>

>> In a message dated 2/29/2012 13:45:10 Pacific Standard Time,
>> djl at montana.com writes:
>>
>> Dunno if  you have seen this on ebay:
>> 260967834514
>> It's an AD9850 with a 125 MHz  crystal mounted up on a .1 spacing
>> board
>> with pins, for about $8 free  shipping from the Old Country. I bought
>> 4
>> of 'em for the in case box (in  case I need one). I have some OCXO's
>> in
>> the 100 MHz neighborhood that will  do just fine and the hard work is
>> done...
>> BTW, that price is about $4  less than AD's price per chip on a 5k
>> reel.
>> Dunno how they do  it...
>> Best, Don

>> 02/29/12

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road