[time-nuts] Loran transmitters back on the air.

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Fri Mar 2 01:09:51 UTC 2012

Greg wrote:

>A friend in Texas has confirmed that Loran signals are now up and
>receivers are showing position. I am including a note from UrsaNav
>regarding this event.

What are the odds that any long-term deployment would be
backward-compatible with legacy Loran receivers (not the same as the
initial tests being backward-compatible)?  The primary revenue stream
would appear to be from sales of new receivers that use patented
technology (unless the government wants to get back into the business
of subsidizing Loran, which it just vacated -- not very
likely).  Cynical, maybe, but it is always a good idea to keep an eye
on the money.  I suppose they could make the enhancements transparent
to legacy receivers, so you would buy new receivers if you needed the
enhancements but could also use older receivers if you didn't.  But
would they?  There does not appear to be an incentive to do so,
absent a government subsidy.

Best regards,

Charles