[time-nuts] Loran transmitters back on the air.

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 02:07:36 UTC 2012

A document I found via UrsaNav's web site describes the basic premise of
eLORAN, and indicates that it is intended to be backward compatible,
although the timing and navigation performance will not be any better than
before. This seems reasonable. The 'e' part adds a data channel that adds
corrections for propagation and such to improve the accuracy, which
obviously the old receivers can't support.

It appears that the sales pitch is to provide a reliable backup for the
satellite based systems as well as better penetration into urban canyons and
buildings than GPS offers.

The document does provide some predicted performance specs for time and
position.

UrsaNav looks to be selling receivers for this, some of which would be very
small, and some would offer eLORAN plus GNSS capability.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM
Tipp City, OH
EM79