[time-nuts] Questions about Austron 5000 Loran C receiver

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 3 17:38:59 UTC 2012

On 03/03/2012 05:14 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message<CAAzRQfAhDyMexYqYPQXVbvuFwZ_tow2HCp9WYeS=dksREnWnQw at mail.gmail.com>
> , Andy Lokken writes:
>
>> Recently, a member of this list gave me an Austron 5000 Loran C receiver.
>> With the recent news about Loran C, I am interested to try to use this
>> device. But I have some questions:
>>
>> Is it possible to use this receiver without the PDP-8 computer that it was
>> generally paired with? If so, how is it done?
>
> Only by substituting a different computer, running a program which
> controls the receiver like the PDP-8 would have done.
>
> This may be easier than it sounds, provided you know what the heck
> the PDP/8 did.
>
> Otherwise: forget all about it.

SIMH among several other simulators could be used, provided you have the
program.

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdp8.html
http://www.pdp-11.nl/homebrew/pdp8/pdp8startpage.html
http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/pdp8emu.html

Other links of interest:
http://dustyoldcomputers.com/pdp8/pdp8e/loranc.html
http://www.loran.org/Meetings/Meeting2000/pdffiles/papers/15.pdf

It's resonable that the PDP-8/E did the hyperbolic stuff for navigation.

Cheers,
Magnus