[time-nuts] Loran in the US

Greg Broburg semiflex at comcast.net
Mon Mar 5 17:05:01 UTC 2012

  A woman is waiting outside of the operating room for news of her
husbands fate. After some hours of waiting a physician comes to her and
in a soft voice gives her the news that he has passed. The situation at
hand was that the paperwork was beyond the operating teams capabilities.

We will learn, I hope sometime in the near future, what the written
permissions will be for this Loran experiment. My bet is that there is a
desire for backup precision marine navigation around port cities where
LightSquared will find most of its customers. This implies LightSquareds
financial and political base are a force to discard GPS performance in
these ports. So it would seem to me that the Coast Guard sees the
investment as a necessary retrenchment to their original move to abandon
Loran to the FAA many years ago.

Greg