[time-nuts] USB Interface, legacy Software

Michael Blazer mblazer at satx.rr.com
Thu Mar 8 00:04:27 UTC 2012

I've been using Delmore GPS receivers for several years. They have a
driver (http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=24
<http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=24>) for Windows
that will install it as a standard serial port sending NMEA messages.
The older serial Earthmates can be powered by applying 5 volts to pin 9
(return to pin 5).
As long as the software communicates thru the standard Com drivers,
Serial to USB converters should work OK.  I've been able to tap the USB
5 volts and power the serial device (as above). Just look for a
converter that is in a hard plastic case, not molded.  If found the
Gold-X adapters are pretty consistent working with legacy software.

Mike Blazer
San Antonio, TX