[time-nuts] DIY GPS-DO

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 10 14:25:23 UTC 2012

On 03/10/2012 03:05 PM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> Sure it is message ID #21 to be looked for?

If I am to believe the FW manual I referred to, see page 83:

3.3.4 Navigation Data (ECEF Coordinates) ID# 21
Structure: Message ID#: 21
Rate (seconds): 1, 0.2 or 0.5 1

This log contains the receiver’s best available position and velocity in
earth-centered-earth-fixed (ECEF) coordinates (see Figure 2 on Page 85).
In addition, it reports height and velocity Figures of Merit (FOMs) and
Dilution of Precision (DOP) values, which are quality indicators. For
more information on the FOM and DOP, refer to the Glossary in the GPS+
Reference Manual available on our website at
http://www.novatel.com/Downloads/docupdates.html.

1. SUPERSTAR II-based receivers are capable of a navigation rate of 1
Hz. If you have a model with 5 Hz PVT, you can alternatively select 5 Hz
(0.2) or 2 Hz (0.5). See a list of models on Page 133.

BYTE BIT DESCRIPTION UNITS TYPE OFFSET
1-4 Header, see Section 1.2.2, Message Block Structure starting on Page 13 0
5-12 GPS Time Range: 0.0 to 604800.0 s Double 4
13-14 Week weeks Short 12
15-22 X coordinate position m Double 14
23-30 Y coordinate position m Double 22
31-38 Z coordinate position m Double 30
39-42 Velocity vector along X-axis m/s Float 38
43-46 Velocity vector along Y-axis m/s Float 42
47-50 Velocity vector along Z-axis m/s Float 46
51-58 Clock bias s Double 50
59-66 Clock drift s/s Double 58
67-70 HFOM m Float 66
71-74 VFOM m Float 70
75-76 HDOP Resolution: 0.1 units N/A Ushort 74
77-78 VDOP Resolution: 0.1 units N/A Ushort 76

To get it, see page 26. You want to send

01 95 6A 00 00 01

If you treat the loop control properly, you should end up with something
quite similar to the Thunderbolt.

Cheers,
Magnus