[time-nuts] WWVB phase modulation format?

John Seamons jks at jks.com
Mon Mar 12 02:03:52 UTC 2012

On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:53 PM, John Seamons wrote:

> I took a look at this. Pictures and video here: http://jks.com
>
> I believe what they were doing is applying a simple 180 deg phase shift to the carrier (BPSK) during certain one second timecode intervals.
> Whether there was anything fancier going on or not (like what DCF77 does) I couldn't tell immediately, although I did make a 192 ksps sound card recording for future analysis.

Okay, so I did a little analysis of the data. See the website for details. For the few minutes I recorded there was a fixed pattern of phase changes that repeated each minute. They did not seem related to the changing timecode. I tried interpreting the bits as various things, including ascii characters, but no luck. Maybe one of you will figure it out, or I suppose we could ask.