[time-nuts] New atomic clock

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 13 23:45:29 UTC 2012

On 03/14/2012 12:27 AM, Michael Costolo wrote:
> I'll admit to being a bit rusty in my particle physics, but since when do neutrons orbit the nucleus?

In the same way as the outer electron "orbits" the nucleus.

It's a quantum state with energy levels. Select it wisely and it can
provide a reference difference in energy. It's the same business as with
any other atomic clock.

Still, this is on the concept sketch state still. Lots of practicalities
prior to put it into use.

With a handful of these being investigated, the methods will develop and
the bar for them will lower.

Cheers,
Magnus