[time-nuts] FE5680A Calibration

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Mar 14 16:48:21 UTC 2012

Hi

Consider that the noise on the 10 MHz output of the FE5680 is pretty bad.
You may / may not want to propagate it all over your shop. At the very
least, a simple band pass filter is needed. A better solution would be to
lock a crystal oscillator up to the FE and use the output of the oscillator.

It's a reasonable bet that you unit is within +/- 1x10^-10 of the right
frequency. If you are lucky, it's > 10X better than that. To observe it's
frequency adequately to set it well, you will need to average it's output
for at least a couple hundred seconds. You don't want to make it worse
trying to set it closer....

If you are comparing to a normal GPS receiver, they have noise on their PPS
output as well. To get to adequate stability / resolution you will need to
average them for a while. Just how long depends on which one you have and a
few other things.

Best approach / lazy approach / provides adequate time for a beer: Look at
the edge of the FE's pps relative to the pps out of the GPS on a scope. Note
the offset on a piece of paper along with the time. Come back in an hour and
repeat the process. Get a couple of points this way. The drift (if any) will
show up as a linear trend. The noise will likely be in the 20 to 200 ns. At
this point all you really are looking for is a noise estimate.

Say the noise is 200 ns. If you do observations at a 200 second spacing you
would get 1x10^-9. To get to 1x10^-12 you need to observe for about 1000X
longer. 200,000 seconds is a couple of days. Yes indeed there are fancy math
things try to speed things up. They don't fit under the "lazy approach"
(there also are a few other reasons to take your time).

Based on the noise estimate you get, and the calculations above, come up
with a schedule. No need to get obsessive about it. All you are looking for
is: read every day / every three days / once a week sort of spacing. Start
logging your phase offset at what ever spacing makes sense. Take at least
ten readings.

Based on your readings, take a stab at correcting the FE. Adjust it and then

So much fun...

Bob