[time-nuts] Chinese credit card fraud

Marvin Gozum Marvin.Gozum at jefferson.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:07:49 UTC 2012

This is the only reason I still have a Citibank card and so far, it hasn't been cracked.
I've used it nearly 10 years.

I can buy fearlessly from anyone, knowing 2 things about this number:

It can be used just once
It expires in 1 month

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_payment_number

Alas, the only one who has the best implementation is Citibank.
The amexco version ceased operation in 2004-5, I used to use it regularly.
The Discover card version generates numbers with 1 year expiration and is not user adjustable.

If the numbers cannot be used, it will be rejected.  Paypal for example, will not allow such numbers to be used as a source for payment.