[time-nuts] WWVB BPSK Receiver Project? (fwd)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Mar 17 12:40:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:27:03 +0000
lists at lazygranch.com wrote:

> What I don't have a lot of hands on experience is with open circuit
> magnetics. (I do with closed circuit magnetics.) But I claim if the
> ferrite rod antenna is not capacitively loaded to resonate at the
> comm frequency, then there isn't significant group delay error.

Ah.. you have here  a "wrong" assumption. Normal antennas are resonant
at the wanted frequency. This is in order to get maximum gain i the
first stage (not to mention that the antenna is the only "amplifier"
with no noise). Also all DCF77 antennas i have seen so far are ferrit
rods with an attached capacitor, to form a resonant antenna.

I think, it would be possible to use a non-resonant antenna. I don't
know what the total noise would then be. But it would definitly be
interesting to know whether a non-resonant antenna design would be
better or worse.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?