[time-nuts] Anyone familiar with SR-620 repair?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 21:23:31 UTC 2012

Here is a trick or two that may work:

feed a very small AC voltage with say 1KHz and 10mV into the bad power
rail. It won't hurt anything.

Then use an old cassette players' magnetic pickup and amplifier to  follow
the signal to the short. No need for expensive hall effect meters.

Another trick that I often use is force-feed power into the bad power rail.
 If it's a 5V rail, then say 5V at 2A.

That can work by having the bad part get hot really quickly, by allowing
you to DC probe with a millivolt setting, or it can backfire if it's a tant
cap  by blowing it up. I would use that only as a last resort if the first
trick  didn't work, as the second trick can be dangerous! So please be
careful, any  repair should be done only with proper equipment (using a 110V
isolation  transformer for example)...

bye,
Said

In a message dated 3/23/2012 14:13:57 Pacific Daylight Time,