[time-nuts] Anyone familiar with SR-620 repair?

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 04:38:30 UTC 2012

I just tracked down a shorted tantalum in a Tektronix DM501
multimeter.  It was on the output of the floating -12 volt supply
bridge rectifier before the regulator.  The current level was so low
that it never heated up although I burned two fingers on the push-pull
output transistors for the floating supply.  The regulator is on a
separate module but the supply was still shorted when I pulled it and
the bad tantalum was the only part left.

I have not seen a shorted tantalum before where it could not be surge
current related until now.