[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Mar 26 15:44:32 UTC 2012

Sintered means that the envelope is formed while the glass is in
a powdered form, and is then melted to fuse it into glass.  The
key is they are using a very low temperature glass.  For the
Dumet seals on the wires (the pink band) to work, the copper in the
seal has to be thoroughly wetted by the glass, which means it has
to be at the glass melting temperature... and the part has to be
cooled slowly to prevent it from shattering... which means it stays
hot for a pretty long time.

Interesting that the pre ROHS diodes were in a lead glass that could
contain as much as 50% lead.  The temperatures were higher than the
current zinc glass formulations.

-Chuck Harris