[time-nuts] Distribution amp - Use a video amp unit ?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Mar 26 17:52:31 UTC 2012

Pure quartz glass, which is silicon dioxide, softens (bends) at 1665C, and
melts at something around 2000C.

Softening and melting are not the same thing.  At the softening point glass can
be bent without breaking, at the melting point (which is quite wide) it flows
like a liquid.  It has to get above the flow point to be able to adhere to the
Dumet seals on the wire.

Soda lime glass melts at about 1500C, as I said, but it bends at about 900C.

The highly leaded glasses that they used to use to make glass diodes melt at
about 700C, and the highly "zinced" glasses that they currently use melt at
about 560C.

I have made metal-glass vacuum seals, and they are done at the liquid point
of the glass.  At that point, the glass flows and sticks to itself, and just
about everything.  It is the same temperature used to weld two pieces of like
glass to each other.  At the bending point, however, glass won't stick to
other glass.

-Chuck Harris