[time-nuts] Best reason

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Wed Mar 28 17:02:33 UTC 2012

There are good technical reasons for having very accurate standards of
time interval, but IMO, far fewer reasons for ns or even ms accuracy in
time of day.

Most everyday things, except possibly eBay and some financial
transactions, really don't have to happen exactly on the dot.

As to having very accurate time, widely distributed, and then measuring
time interval by subtraction, that is fraught with perils. Would you use a
the difference between a pair of mile long platinum-iridium rods to
measure the thickness of a sheet of paper?

YMMV,

-John