[time-nuts] External 10Mhz referance levels

Christopher Brown cbrown at woods.net
Sat Mar 31 08:11:48 UTC 2012

So, going through a surplus HP 5087A.  All torn down, cleaned and back
together.  10Mhz input amp and 10 output amps.  Manual talks about
setting for 3V rms into 50ohms, all 10 amps appear clean and a little
extra time with a spec an gives -55db at 30mhz and < -65 or better for
the rest.  Dropping to 1V RMS and tweaking the balance pot gives -55 to
-60 at 20 and 30, rest in the noise.

All seems good, but what should I be feeding my gear.  All of the
manuals are pretty sparse on details, mentioning minimum for a few, but
no target or max.

Will be feeding

3596C
5335A
5370B
8657B
8395/E6380A

to start.

Maybe I am missing it, but the only mention of level I have seen so far
is > -10dbm.  The suggested 3v rms in the 5087 manual seems a bit high.

Comments, suggestions, guidance?

BTW: Name is Chris, HAM since teens, playing with anything technical for
longer than I can remember, packet data networking guy for last 18 years
by day.  Getting around to putting together a decent workbench opposite
the HAM station.  Never could stand owning/operating things I could not
properly service, fixing the issue but first I need to figure out all
the gear (and in some cases fix the gear that will be fixing the other
gear.).