[time-nuts] thunderbolt "no UTC offset"

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed May 2 07:12:18 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 03:50 AM, Dennis Ferguson wrote:

> On 2 May, 2012, at 04:30 , Tom Van Baak wrote:
>
>> The UTC offset is in words 6-10, page 18, subframe 4 -- every 12.5 minutes.
>> /tvb
>
> The leap second warning is also in the same place.  How the unit could
> know that a leap second is pending but not know the UTC offset is a
> mystery.

Well, there is such things as software bugs. The upcoming leapsecond is
kind of unique as it has been a very long time since the last in June,
which was June 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

So, it is not surprising that there can be some issues with it. As I
recall, the format of the GPS message is such that one should be able to
execute it correctly even if one does not know the rules. The bugs I
have seen comes from software trying to apply the rules, but does it
incorrectly.

Cheers,
Magnus