[time-nuts] Setting up PRS10 with M12+T GPS

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed May 2 21:50:52 UTC 2012

>>The phase of the PPSOUT and the generated 10 MHz will probably not align
> up, >something which is critical to some applications.
> Yes, for example the DVB-T SFN requires the PPS and 10MHz phases to be
> aligned, better, not to move. This requires to slightly alter the 10MHz to
> keep the PPS aligned.
>
> Let me ask Bjorn: did you succeed in aligning the two PRS10?

Somewhat... I had a "stable" offset between the 10MHz PRS10 signals of
almost 8ns, moving +-2.5ns over some hours.

Moreover,
> what
> do you mean by "each other", a scheme like this:
>

> |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |                                                                   |
> |       PRS10A                        PRS10B           |
> |--->PPS IN PPS OUT------>PPS IN PPS OUT--|
>

> hoping that the font doesn't mess up the ASCII schematic...

Almost, I also let the PRS10A be steered by a Tbolt.

PLL settings 8 on PRS10A, and 0 on PRS10B, which should make PRS10B quick
enough to follow any wiggle the PRS10A do slowly following its Tbolt
supplied PPS_in.

I had

    locked Tbolt 1PPS going into PPS_IN of PRS10A
    PPS Out of PRS10A going into PPS_IN of PRS10B.

I watched/measured
    1) PPS out from Tbolt on ch 1  (yellow)
    2) 10MHz out from PRS10B on ch 2 (green)
    3) 10MHz out from PRS10A on ch 3 (blue)
    4) 1PPS out from PRS10 B on ch 4 (red)

see attached screendump from a 500MHz Scope.  I did not have enough time
to completely remove offsets between 10MHz signals from PRS10A & B. More
tuning should have been done on the PRS10A wrt the Tbolt PPS also.

Any comments?

--

   Björn