[time-nuts] NTGS50AA, better than Thunderbolt

Murray Greenman denwood at orcon.net.nz
Thu May 3 19:18:58 UTC 2012

Mark,
I agree with you. I've been using an NTGS50AA here for some time, and it is
an excellent unit with none of the thermal problems of the Tbolt. Easily as
good as the old Z3801A, and much lower power consumption. I use the NTGS50AA
with the Thunderbolt software in TSIP mode, although not all the messages
work.

While I've not tried the recently suggested method for making it talk to LH,
I did find another crude way that works. If you get it talking to TBOLTMON
or some similar software via the front panel, you can use LH on another
computer on the rear-panel monitor port to monitor what comes back, but
again, not all messages are supported.

I'd love to see LH (and Z3XXX if possible!) support the NNTSG50AA fully. If
anyone out there has documentation for the comms syntax of the NTGS50AA,
we'd be pleased to hear!

The 48V power supply requirements are a nuisance, which I got around using
plus and minus 24V supplies. I use a UPS rather than a battery for backup.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU