[time-nuts] 5370B and 10544 OCXO

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri May 4 22:30:56 UTC 2012

No necessarily.

It could also mean the 5370B "likes" the output signal of the 10544 fed
internally better than the other two, maybe due to a higher signal level or
less  noise in the internal PLL bandwidth?

You could verify this by feeding in the 10544 into the front jack while the
 10811 sits inside the unit itself, then reversing (switching) the two
oscillators with each other and comparing results.

Theoretically the result of both measurements would be identical, except if
 your 5370B somehow likes one over the other, possibly due to the way it
multiplies the 10MHz up to 200MHz.

One oscillator may have a better noise spectrum in the loop bandwidth of
that 20x multiplication PLL etc.

Your measurement is basically using the following: full noise bandwidth on
the external "A" input, and possibly only limited noise bandwidth in the
internal connection due to the internal 10MHz to 200MHz up-conversion PLL
which  has a smaller noise bandwidth than the "A" input.

Hope that makes sense,
bye,
Said

In a message dated 5/4/2012 15:06:37 Pacific Daylight Time,